Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Opinions on xynole...

Opinions on xynole...
May 29, 2020 12:48AM
I tried placing an order with raka earlier this week. They called back informing me they were out of 5oz kevlar. What's everyone's opinions on using xynole, or should I say the poor mans kevlar, instead of kevlar. I understand I will need to use more laminations of glass cloth to make up for xynole's weaknesses but how does it do from an impact/ abrasion perspective compared to kevlar? Thanks for your time guys.
Re: Opinions on xynole...
May 29, 2020 02:21AM
I've never used either. I was talked back into standard fiberglass each time I mentioned it to people I respect. I wish I had something profound to share.
May 29, 2020 04:39PM
Check the thread from 2/2020 I started called Fiberglass Layup. My build is also plain jane fiberglass only, but buried in the thread are some insights into the subject of Dynel, Kevlar, etc. Also many more threads dedicated to the subject on the forum to check out. I'm a novice and have no real insight to offer, other than there's 1000 ways of doing things and each has distinct advantages and disadvantages depending on application - but as an admitted over thinker and over builder, if it floats and you don't row 200 plus days a year I bet whatever you go with you'll be happy when it's done!
May 30, 2020 05:43PM
What is your criteria for fabric selection? In other words, what characteristics do you want your final composite layup to exhibit? Expense of materials, overall strength of each fabric component, resistance to abrasion, finished weight of structure, overall strength of finished composite structure, ease of wetting out the fabrics, ability to resist impact and flex rather than fracture, and so on. Only you know what you want your boat to do. If you don't know what criteria apply to you I suggest doing additional research by reading past posts both on here and woodenboatpeople.com. A ton of information has already been discussed. I have also addressed these use of these resources at the end of this word-fest.

Since the layup and construction of a composite structure or sandwich of fabrics, fiberglass, kevlar or Zynole laminated to wood with a variety of resins will greatly change the finished item. Do you want flexibility, abrasion resistance, mustard, mayo and ham with your rye bread or whatever. Your tastes are individual to you. Yes, I mixed materials in that sentence but my point is thus; you get to chose what you put into your sandwich of materials and resins to achieve your desired result.

Below is just one example of how fiberglass cloth can exhibit different characteristics. Fiberglass cloth comes in a variety of layups and differences in construction of the actual fiberglass. For example: "S-2 Glass. ... It is a higher quality product than standard E-glass and is about 30% stronger and 15% stiffer. S-2 Glass is used in applications that require greater strength and less weight than common E-Glass." This is just one statement discussing the two materials. I chose S-2 Glass in my drift boats construction because of those two factors. The majority of the fiberglass on my drift boats floor is on the inside of the boat to add the resistance to penetration from rocks. I have less of the same fabric on the outside of the floor of my boat because I was concerned with abrasion resistance. In my decades of boating with a variety of floating watercraft the majority of my boats injuries have come from hitting the chine areas. Since I have a framed drift boat I have replaceable chine caps of white oaks that are relatively easy to replace. In a stitch and glue drift boat a lot of extra fabric and resin is used to protect this vulnerable area.

Dependent upon the mixture you chose your needs will reflect the choices you make.

If you are a reasonably skilled oarsperson you can avoid many of the dangers of rocks and logs. It also depends on what rivers you are boating and what the makeup of the river bottom and shorelines are. If you are just expanding your skills you may find that like a new driver you may suffer more rock bruises and bumps that you will when you are more experienced. I have not found a large need for abrasion resistance in Eastern Washington, Northern Oregon, Western Idaho and Western Montana rivers unless you are boating in late fall. I have hit a few rocks during these conditions with both the front floor of my boat and my chine caps during low water steelhead floats. My boat has not suffered any major damage on the floor.

What I am saying is you have to do your research on the materials, determine the potential for damage from the rivers you will be floating and realize that as skills increase the types of damage your boat may incur will vary. Since you are building your boat to achieve your desired results I suggest that you use the power of Google to sort through the possible fabric, resin and amount of each you chose to use. We can all make suggestions, but we aren't you and our desires may vary from your needs.

I have been active on both this forum and and Woodenboatpeople.com since 2011. You may chose to use a couple of handy resources available there. 1. There are search functions here on Sandy's forum and woodenboatpeople.com that allow you to search using a sentence or a question to obtain the best results. I suggest this primarily because the process of selecting materials, how to do certain tasks, etc are going to be basically the same for each persons drift boat build. The same issues and questions come up time after time on either a stitch and glue boat or framed boat. The questions are similar and have all been answered before. 2. On woodenboatpeople.com there are individual pages for those that chose to have one. The great thing about the pages and accompanying posts is the ability to read through and also search them. A wonderfully helpful resource that has been helpful to many people over the years. Saves a lot of time. Give it a try. It comes highly recommended. I know I have added many words to there. Since questions have already been answered people do not have to rewrite answers. I hope this helps!

Good luck with your build!

R. Newman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login