Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

different seat design

Posted by Trapperbob 
different seat design
June 07, 2020 04:45PM
I just thought I would mention a seat design I believe has only been used here in Darrington as far as I know though I won't be surprised if it has been used before.. I call it the Darrington plank seat. I first bumped into it about 1981 or so when I bought used 10 foot river pram made in Darrington.( I live here) it was the most common seat for a small pram around here. so all you need is a 1" by 12" plank or maybe a 10" depending on your preferences I like cedar for the light weight , decide on the height you want then measure the length at that point on each end. Then see what your bevel is on each end and cut to see. At the ends attach a support block underneath to secure it . the seat sits on the supports and is screwed to them. In the middle I put another support that is attached to the bottom. this can be plywood or maybe another piece of 12" cedar.I like to use a epoxy fillet for this. thats it! you now have a comfortable seat that you can seat passengers according to weight distribution and your position for rowing is movable. I have two sets of oarlock blocks for just myself or with passengers. you can use seat cushions or pad the whole seat but I mostly don't use anything. You just straddle the seat. simple and the best seat for getting the weight right. One caveat is if the boat is a stitch and glue that needs the standard seat in the middle for side stiffness you might want to consider some small frames. it won't take much. I have used cheap mahogany molding filleted in and epoxy coated. I used 4 since they are so small but two larger more conventional frames/ ribs might be better. Thats it ... the Darrington plank seat ! oh one other advantage is the seat makes a very stable platform to stand on. I use it for that mostly on lakes
Re: different seat design
June 07, 2020 06:48PM
In inflatable rafts when wood was used for the frames, commonly 2" x 10" fir or pine assembled as a perimeter frame with nuts and bolts. Just make sure you keep the ends of the bolts short! I remember seeing a pine or fir plank used as a "sliding" seat. The seat didn't move, your butt did! the planks was fastened perpendicular to the rear frame member and you could slide up and down the plank to maximize the use of your leg muscles to move these sluggish and floppy rafts around. If I remember correctly eventually steel tubing replaced the wood but the sliding seats were around for awhile. The concept probably wouldn't work well today, but it is fun to remember the "good, old days"!

R Newman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login