Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Guy Introduction

Posted by J-Mo 
New Guy Introduction
September 06, 2020 07:36PM
Hello everyone. I have been using this forum for quite some time and have been lurking around for the information I have needed to build my first drift boat. I am using Fletcher's book to build a 16' double ender with a transom. I am using meranti plywood with white oak frames. I have some cypress that i am using for the inner chines and gunnels and I will use white oak for the outer chines and gunnels.

I am at a sticky point in the build and I need some advice. The answer may very well be somewhere on this site but I have not been able to find it. What is the suggested process for installing the outer chines and stem cap? Should I wrap the hull with glass first and then install these pieces or should I install them first and then wrap with glass? It makes most sense in my newbie mind to wrap the chines with glass but I don't know where to stop the different types of glass if that makes sense.

For context, I am planning on 2 layers of 10 oz glass on the bottom and one layer of 6 oz on the side. I am using MAS epoxy and have been pleased with it so far. I will mostly be using the boat on the Hiwassee and Clinch rivers here in East Tennessee and the Toccoa River in N GA.. These are fast tailwater rivers and you can float sections of them without hitting a rock.

Any help will be appreciated and I can't wait to get this thing in the water!!
Re: New Guy Introduction
September 07, 2020 03:37AM
Thank you for posting. Keep us posted on your project. Photos are cool too, although they need to be resized first, before uploading, so they are no bigger than maybe 700 pixels wide. Someday I'll hack the forum software so it allows bigger images to upload, and so it then does the resizing on the server, after the upload. This forum software I use is old and no longer really supported. i use it because it does a good job on keeping hackers out.

================= RE> your question:
You don't have to use a chine cap. That's a building technique that predates the combination of glass and plywood together.

A chine cap also causes "chine dip." When a boat with a chine cap gets sideways to a current the chine cap has too much friction and the boat lurches downward on the upstream side.
September 09, 2020 01:16AM
Thanks Mr. Sandy, that makes perfect sense. I guess the alternative is to lap the different layers of glass over the edge? My glass should be here in a couple weeks so until then I'll be twiddling my thumbs.

September 09, 2020 01:56AM
Yes lots of glass at the chine. You'll have to patch it. But by the time you need to you'll be good at it.
September 09, 2020 02:24AM
Just looking at J-Mo's photo of the framework on his boat really hits home to me. I haven't built a framed boat in forty years. But I'd like to. I'd like to make a framed boat without any glass at all. Or glue. I'd want every piece to be screwed or bolted on. And caulked too. With one of the hotrod caulks now available. 3M 5200 Urethane adhesive is scary stuff. If you put two parts together with 5200 you'll never get them apart again. Not easily anyway. Old fashioned hardware store silicone caulk, on the other hand, is almost but not quite good enough to replace glue. Some of the newer silicones are good enough to replace glue.

I'd make the chine strip a full four quarters thick. 1" inch ash or white oak laminated from 1/4" inch strips. I'd make it two or two and half inches tall too. You couldn't bend a one piece chine strip that thick and tall. But you could--easily--if it was built up from strips.

Then you'd have something massive extra stout to fasten the bottom and the side panels too at the edges. You wouldn't have to glue anything. Use lots of screws, on 4" inch centers, with marine grade silicone caulk instead of glue. Then the bottom could come off ten years down the road. No big deal. Back out all the screws. Pry off the bottom (without damaging anything) and then put on a new bottom.

Dowsil 795 silicone caulk is stretchy grippy stuff. But it isn't glue. It has bounce and give and yet still stays stuck to what ever you apply it too. It's stout too. But not that stout. You can get stuff apart if you need to.

The historical problem with traditional framed boats is maintenance. Once the bottom gets spongy and water logged it rots out quickly. But that bottom panel was glued to the ribs and to the chine strip it's almost impossible to get off without collateral damage. With screwed on caulked on bottom bottom replacement wouldn't be a show stopper.

If you were a guide you might even want a new bottom once every five years. No big deal. No glass has class.
September 14, 2020 12:49AM
I think the traditional framed boats have a lot of beauty in their craftsmanship. It has been challenging to get to this point, but it has been awesome to see it all come together. I put the first layer of glass on last night and another coat of epoxy tonight. I just ran out of hardener so I will have to wait for more to come in to proceed. I would post some pics but my shop is a disaster

I like your method of laminating the chines. Do you mill them 1/4" yourself or are you able to get them milled? I'd like to try that method myself but I don't want to cut them down with my table saw and planer.

Thanks for all the great advice and bits of knowledge, it's been a huge help to get me to this point.
September 14, 2020 04:34AM
Table saw and planer.

Been thinking about this. Tha laminated chine strip is not a requirement. A person could build any framed Dory with Marine caulk and screws. With all else the same. Just swap glue for, for instance, Dowsil 795. Or so I think.

Hay I'm not recommending it for you. I'm just making pronouncements. In my old age.

Your work is excellent. I'm really looking forward to following your progress.
September 29, 2020 02:01AM
I've just finished putting three coats of epoxy with graphite on the bottom. I know my glasswork is not the best but I'm blaming it on being a rookie. I've definitely learned a ton on this one and will do some things differently on the next one. I plan on painting the lower edge with a flat black paint to hide the areas where the glass is thicker. Maybe. Maybe I'll just get it in the river ASAP you never know. I couldn't have gotten this far without all the wisdom on this site, so THANKS!

--Joe

September 29, 2020 02:03AM
Some more pics. Disregard the messy shop

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login