Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skill saw miter guage

Posted by Sandy 
Skill saw miter guage
October 20, 2020 04:21PM
Handy tool

When you put fiberglass over plywood and then paint you don't have to be much of a woodworker. Everything gets buried under glass. But I'm building a boat with a fiberglass shoe or bottom and all (or mostly) wooden top. Why am I building that way? I'm just trying to keep it interesting. After building anything twice I'm ready for something new.

All of a sudden I have to rediscover my woodworking skills.
A brand new finish blade in the skillsaw helps a lot. So does a cutting guide for the saw.

For plywood marking the cut line with a sharp pencil helps visualize what your'e doing. Scoring that pencil line lightly with a sheetrock knife helps to keep the finish veneer from splintering.

This one is built onto a "saw protractor" so it extends almost 4' feet insead of 16" inches.
Been using it a lot. Handy for cutting out the angled sides of transom pieces. I'm using two pieces of 1/2" inch plywood for the transom, with some more edge trim on the inside so the top edge of the transom will be 1-1/2" inches thick. Your eye sees those joints almost right away. They have to be gnat's ass or you're in trouble.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login