Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lure making

Posted by Sandy 
Lure making
November 25, 2020 03:00AM
I can't see well enough to tie small flies on a leader anymore.
So I've started making lures.
On youtube there are a zillion tutorials on making your own plugs.
It looks like it takes about a week for each one.

This is a blank with no adornments yet. I'll glue on some eyes and sew in some flashy stuff eventually. It's about 1/3oz so it's plenty heavy enough to throw with a bait casting rig. You can make them extra heavy or light enough to cast with a 4wt fly rod.

And I can make a half a dozen per hour--rather than one per week.
Packing foam, a slip sinker buried in the foam, a diving bill snipped from an Orange Juice bottle, Super Glue and a snelled hook.

The fly rod versions catch fish like crazy. I haven't actually fished any of these plugs yet. I just started making them yesterday. I'm pretty sure I have a spin rod that works. I'll have to dig it out. I'll be buying bass outfit soon.

This thing dives and wobbles like a daemon. In the bath tub anyway.

Re: Lure making
November 25, 2020 03:04AM
..........a bathtub vid. The flure in the following youtube video (that I made) is fly rod light. It isn't a heavy one. There isn't much difference between the two other than how much weight you use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwktLLD259w
November 27, 2020 02:15PM
November 27, 2020 11:08PM
Same lure as above with feathers and stick-on eyes attached with water based contact cement. This isn't a fly rod flure. This is a lure. It weighs 1/3oz. Far too heavy to cast with any fly rod. You can, however, make it lighter, simply by reducing the weight. This one has a 1/3oz lead slip sinker embedded. I don't like lead. I ordered some brass cylinders for spinner making. Big tungsten beads work well too but they're expensive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login