Sandy What did you do
May 24, 2021 02:23PM
Sandy What did you do to me. I used to to be sedentary, always around, cheap, dependable. Then I built your buffalo boat. Now I'm never home, always off somewhere, spending a small fortune learning to fish again, and not very accountable. I have rowed this little boat all over the seaboard in pursuit of Pickerel and Panfish. Crabbing last summer in the Chesapeake. Perch and Crappie with grandchildren next weekend. This year I added an electric motor for certain areas as you know how nicely these boats row on open windy lakes.
Next year it will travel to the Yellowstone area behind my car.
Re: Sandy What did you do
May 24, 2021 03:04PM
:=))

Betcha can't build just one

Some boat builders a have cranked out hundreds of boats. Keith Steele and Don Hill come to mind. My old friend Ray Heater and newer guys like Jason Hayes have built hundreds too.

I've probably built close to 40 boats (not hundreds). But I seldom build any one boat more than twice. I'm always working on a radically new design. That's the most fun. By far.

As far as new and different than everybody else designs I have a hunch I'm close to the top of that competition. Tied for first place. If not sole possession. The Whale Rider--my current project--is taking forever. This summer at some point. I have a hunch it will make the biggest wave so far.
June 01, 2021 12:22PM
Well, lets get rolling. Finish the boat.
I just finished researching and reading about Al Troths EHC fly where your comments were prominently featured on Classic Fly Rodder. Thanks, I like that fly.
This June/July I'll be in Henry's Fork over the fourth with my west coast grandkids. I'll be tying EHC, Differet Drakes and Salmon Flies. Can't wait.
June 01, 2021 05:13PM
Flies come and go. The Royal Wulff will likely last forever. Will still be for sale in fly shops in a century from now. If fly shops still exist. And so will the Elk Hair Caddis. I knew Al. I lent him a Buffalo Boat for month. He said good things about the boat (especially his son Erik Troth) but at that time it was too high to snake underneath the Hildreath Bridge on the Beaverhead. So Al didn't buy one.

The Hildreath Bridge has since been made two feet higher, so they could sell summer houses on the West side of the Beaverhead. Lowel Hildreath is long gone too. He (Lowel Hildreath) once had Al Troth arrested for Trespassing because he parked his boat on the side of the river in order to eat lunch with clients.

I spoke with Al about that incident once, on the phone. That old black handled land line phone melted into liquid plastic and dripped on the floor as Al cussed every word in his vocabulary. I still smile thinking about it.
June 10, 2021 05:26PM
Sandy did you get my PM?
June 11, 2021 12:05AM
If you did please disregard it. Thanks
June 11, 2021 09:05PM
I missed your PMessage Don. But I done answered it now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login